There are a number of sand blasting media applications. However not all of them will be suitable for your project. Before you purchase one you will need to know exactly what sort of job you will be doing and what surface you will be cleaning. These two factors will determine which substance you will need.
Different surfaces will require different substances to clean them. If the wrong ones are used damage to the surface can be incurred. It will also depend on how bad the stain is if you are cleaning the surface.
Different sand blasting media applications available, generally speaking they are divided into hard, medium and soft according to their abrasive power.
- Metallic: this is used if you need to give a finish to the surface that you are working on. Steel grit will make a rough surface so that it is easy for paint to be applied to the surface. Steel shot will give a smooth finish.
- Walnut, corn cob and pumice are three of the gentlest formulas. These are good if you are just beginning on this type of work. They are good in that they will not damage the surface should you make any mistakes.
- Other sand blasting media applications are very hard for tough cleaning jobs. Silicon carbide is one of these. They are very abrasive types of substances.
- Baking soda is also used as a formula. This is a gentle natural cleaning agent. It is also used to disinfect an area, as it has antiseptic qualities. It is now being used more frequently than it used to be. It is called soda washing.
- Crushed glass is also used for glass etching. This is classed as a medium agent.
- Aluminum oxide and garnet are used amongst the mineral sand blasting media applications.
- Dry ice is known as a synthetic formula. It is used when you do not want a wet application for cleaning. It is often used for cleaning electrical machinery. This is because it will not leave any residue on the machines.
- Raw beach sand: this application should be washed well before using. This is because the salt in it will leave a residue and can lead to rust developing below the paint surface.
- Silicone sand: this can give rise to users getting lung disease, but statistics show that this is happens to only a small number of people. It is necessary to use some safety precautions when using this type of sand blasting media.