Not only will cleaning your home’s wood surfaces with a pressure washer help rid it of stains and dirt, it can also help to preserve your wood by:
- Opening the pores of the wood
- Balancing the pores of the wood so that the sealer bonds to each fiber.
Choosing the Right Cleaning Products for Your Wood Surfaces
When power washing wood surfaces, it’s important to choose the right products. While decks require a more acidic cleaner; fences and walls need a cleaning product that is more alkaline. Always be sure to check the manufacture’s recommendations for products you plan to use in your pressure washer for wood cleaning to be sure it’s alright.
When cleaning your outside wood with your power washer, there are three main types of pressure washer chemicals you can choose from. Each has been specifically designed to use in a pressure washer to clean wood surfaces without the risk of fading the wood. They are:
Cleaners will deeply cleanse the wood without stripping off old finishes
Brighteners are used to remove bleed marks and darkened wood to help get it back to its natural color.
Strippers can be used in a pressure washer to take off old finishes of paint
Tips for Wood Cleaning Using a Pressure Washer
When using your pressure washer to clean your home’s wood surfaces you’ll want to be sure to follow these simple tips in order to prevent damaging the wood:
- Never allow any wood cleaners, brighteners or strippers to dry on the surface of the wood. This can leave a residue and prevent proper adhesion or absorption of sealers. Be sure to rinse the wood every 10-15 minutes (especially on sunny or hot days)
- Never use hot water on wood – always use a cold pressure washers
- Use your pressure washer with an output of 1500 to 1800 PSI
- Never use a 0 degree tip for wood washing; instead opt for a 25 degree power washer spray nozzle tip.
- Never hold the tip in one place when cleaning wood – this can cause pitting or other damage. Instead clean 3-4 foot sections at a time
- After you’ve thoroughly pressure washed your wood surface, be sure to let it dry at least 24 hours before applying a protective sealer.
Wood cleaning with a pressure washer is a fast and easy way to rid your wooden decks and fences of the dirt that can make it look older than it is and give it quick spruce up. Just be sure to follow the tips above to ensure that your next wood cleaning job is completed in a safe and efficient manner.
This article may only be re-published in complete form without editing.
Contact us for permission to re-publish this article at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The publisher of these pages is in no way responsible for any damage caused to you, your pressure washer, anyone else, your property, or anyone else's property by trying to implement or by successfully implementing the above-mentioned performance and services.